Since 2013 almost a million books have been collected in Better World Books Fife book banks. There are 11 book banks located in Fife Council Recycling Centres which provide the public with a convenient way to drop off the books that they no longer need. The books collected are then sold online to support Scottish Book Trust, donated to those in need or recycled. No books go to landfill!
Here’s what Cllr John Wincott, Environment and Transport Spokesperson for Fife Council said: “I’d like to say a huge thank you to the people of Fife for supporting this scheme. By using the Better World Books book banks at our Recycling Centres, they have not only supported Scottish Book Trust in improving literacy, but they have also helped reduce the amount of waste landfilled by over 300 tonnes, which also reduces greenhouse gas emissions.”
What can be put in the book banks?
- Books across all categories in good or better condition
- Books with missing pages, or books that are stained or mouldy
- CDs and VHS
Where are the book banks?
- Dunfermline Recycling Centre (off A823, Wellwood, KY12 0RX)
- Lochgelly Recycling Centre (Station Road, Cartmore Industrial Estate, KY5 8LL)
- Cowdenbeath Recycling Centre (Cuddyhouse Road, KY4 9PT)
- Dalgety Bay Recycling Centre (Ridge Way, Hillend Industrial Park, KY11 9JD)
- St Andrews Recycling Centre (John Knox Road, Argyle Business Park, KY16 8PJ)
- Cupar Recycling Centre (Coal Road, KY15 5YQ)
- Ladybank Recycling Centre (off A92, Ladybank, KY15 7UL)
- Pittenweem Recycling Centre (Charles Street, KY10 2QJ)
- Glenrothes Recycling Centre (Cable Road, Viewfield Industrial Estate, KY6 2SY)
- Kirkcaldy Recycling Centre (Denburn Road, KY1 2HD)
- Methil Recycling Centre (Steelwork Brae, KY8 2HY)
A full list of all Better World Books book banks can be found here: https://www.betterworldbooks.co.uk/go/donate-list
Thank you to the people of Fife for helping to a make a difference one book at a time!